Frequently Asked Questions: Village and Town Greens

    • How can I protect the land?

If you can prove that local people have used the land without secrecy, force or permission for at least 20 years for lawful sports and pastimes, you can apply to register the land as new green. This will protect it from development for ever and preserve it for use by local people.

    • Who is my registration authority?

In England, all unitary authorities and county councils are registration authorities. In Wales, all county/borough councils are registration authorities.

    • How long does the process take?

Unfortunately, there is no limit to how long the process can take.

    • How much evidence do I need to give?

As much as possible, but quality is more important than quantity.

Herbrand Beach Walk, Cooden, Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex registered as a village green 2011

    • What sort of map is required and where can I obtain one?

The accompanying map must be at least at a scale of 1:2500 and show the land by distinctive colouring so it can be clearly identified.
OS partners (map shops) charge their own rate for maps.
Some registration authorities accept Land Registry title maps which can be downloaded as an A4 sheet.
Local map shops may have maps at the right scale that are out of copyright and therefore available more cheaply.

Copying under the principles of Fair Dealing
You can make copies of Ordnance Survey mapping in accordance with the principles of fair dealing as set out in the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. This entitles you to make copies of OS mapping for the purpose of criticism, review, news reporting and research for a non-commercial purpose. If you make a copy for any of these purposes you must, where possible, provide an acknowledgement in the following form:
Reproduced by permission of Ordnance Survey on behalf of HMSO. © Crown Copyright. All rights reserved.