Village Greens: Prosecuting an offence on a village green

If you wish to prosecute someone for a criminal offence on a town or village green, an information must be laid before the local magistrates’ court by an inhabitant of the parish under the Commons Act 1876 s29 and Inclosure Act 1857 s12. Examples of encroachments on town or village greens include unlawful parking, nuisance, erecting equipment, fencing, any building development, creating tracks across the green.

for further details, please download our information sheet Laying an Information – how to prosecute someone in a magistrates’ court.