Lockdown Spaces Appeal
One of the outcomes of the 2020 Coronavirus pandemic and subsequent restrictions to our way of life has been that local green spaces have been more vital than ever to our health—physical and mental.
In response to this crisis we launched our charters for open spaces in England and Wales. We called on government and local authorities to equalise provision of local green spaces and for communities to act to save them.
Our small society has received more pleas for help to save open spaces than ever before.
Responding to these requests will cost us more money and more staff time. If you or your friends and family have ever found pleasure, comfort or relief in green space, please give to our Lockdown Spaces Appeal. You will be enabling us to continue our fight to protect those spaces which we treasure and need—now more than ever.
Legal Fund - Defending commons, green spaces and paths
Some years ago the society set up a legal fund with a simple and vital purpose—to fund legal action by the society and its members in defence of commons, green spaces and public paths.
Over the years our successes constitute a solid body of useful decisions which will stand us in good stead.
Please help us to replenish the fund so that we can continue to support essential legal cases in town and countryside.
We've been busy! In case you missed them from our social media, here are some recent campaign success stories we wanted you to know about.
- We successfully launched our new charters for open spaces in England and for Wales.
- Clyne Common Swansea saved from developer's inferior land-swap proposal
- How we supported a member in saving a public footpath from being deleted from Kent County Council's definitive map of public paths.
- Our member East Malling and Larkfield Parish Council dedicate more land as a village green
- Blackburn group win support of borough council for new asset of community value
- We save Shropshire footpath from diversion
- Threat withdrawn to ancient road in South Downs National Park
- Lambeth Council bows to pressure over events on open spaces
We have also been updating how we present our technical fact sheets on the website so that you can more easily access and benefit from the expert advice they contain. See example here and visit our Information Hub for more.
We will claim gift aid on your donation if we already hold a completed gift aid application from you for all past and future payments.
Give Now Online
We are always very grateful for any donations we receive from members or non-members, to help us in our work to protect and conserve common land, village greens, open spaces and public rights of way.
Make a donation straight from your credit or debit card. It’s fast secure and easy
Make a donation using your CAF account