0Rights of Way
In the past year we have responded to more than
for guidance on protection & management
Examples of our key recent successes:
- A recent landmark victory as a high court order which, by 2022, will bring to an end decades of parking on Clifton and Durdham Downs to accommodate visitors to Bristol zoo.
- We successfully launched our new Grant a Green campaign asking local councils and other land owners to voluntarily register land they own as a town or village green, protecting it for the community.
- Congratulated parish councils in Oxfordshire and North Yorkshire for voluntarily registering land in their communities as village greens.
- The local council rejected plans to build a massive leisure centre next to Brent River Park in Ealing.
- Saved the beautiful Rhos Gelli Gron common in Ceredigion from plans to errect ugly fencing.
- Celebrating new greens and paths at Dorchester-on-Thames after campaigning alongside member Friends of Dorchester and Little Wittenham Open Spaces.
We have also responded to:
- Help draft criteria as part of a pressure group coalition action on planning reforms.
- Agriculture (Wales) white paper - in responding to this consultation, we have a particular interest in promoting public access to the countryside through Wales’s network of public paths.
- The society responded to the London Mayor's consultation on it's Public London Charter calling for developers and landowners in the capital to voluntarily dedicate open spaces as town greens.
- Defra's policy discussion consultation on Environmental Land Management.
- Defra's Financial Assistance Statutory Instrument, with particular reference to the proposed monitoring and enforcing compliance with agricultural grants.
- The Home Office consultation on the criminalisation of trespass in England and Wales.
- We have signed the Placemaking Wales Charter, pledging to support its objectives,
We have also:
- Joined 17 other environmental groups in urging the candidates in the London Mayoral election to back ‘A more natural capital’.
- Made 78 applications to rescue lost commons in England’s seven pioneer areas by the end of 2020.
- Launched our Grant a Green Appeal.
- Supported fund raiser, Patricia Wittbom with her hiking challenge.
- Authored a Manifesto for Wales ahead of the Senedd elections on 6 May 2021.
- Worked on a revision of the Countryside Code for it's seventieth Anniversary.
- Made all but the most recent issues of Open Space magazine available to download as a PDF.