0Rights of Way
In the past year we have responded to almost
for guidance on protection & management
Examples of our key recent successes:
- We successfully launched our new charters for open spaces in England and for Wales.
- Congratulated parish councils in Oxfordshire and North Yorkshire for voluntarily registering land in their communities as village greens.
- We objected to a planning application that threatened an ancient road in the South Downs National Park which was subsequently withdrawn.
- A recent landmark victory was our challenge to Dorset Council’s decision to deregister part of Leigh Common to allow development.
- Cornish land at Trevellion Moor has been restored to the commons register following research by our local commons re-registration officer.
- Saving common land at the popular Canyons, near Pontypool in Torfaen from deregistration to create an access road for aggregate extraction
- Supporting a member in saving a public footpath from being deleted from Kent County Council’s definitive map of public paths.
We have also responded to:
- Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government consultation on the reform of the planning system in England
- Wales Environment Link (WEL) of which the society is an active member responded to the Welsh Government consultation for a Clear Air Plan for Wales. The society highlighted the need for a definitive policy for the protection of open and green spaces.
- Defra's policy discussion consultation on Environmental Land Management.
- Defra's Financial Assistance Statutory Instrument, with particular reference to the proposed monitoring and enforcing compliance with agricultural grants.
- The consultation to inform Defra's new England Tree Strategy
- The Home Office consultation on the criminalisation of trespass in England and Wales.
- We have signed the Placemaking Wales Charter, pledging to support its objectives,
We have also:
- Made 78 applications to rescue lost commons in England’s seven pioneer areas by the end of 2020..
- Improved our information hub presentation and published new fact sheets.
- Created a new film about leaving a legacy to the society.
- Been appointed to serve on three expert groups advising the Welsh Government access reform process
- Worked on revision of National Trust common land policy document
- Made all but the most recent issues of Open Space magazine available to download as a PDF.