“Brilliant, intriguing and inspiring”
- a member enjoys his visit to the society's website
We deal with well over 700 cases a year assisting communities, groups and individuals in protecting their local spaces and paths in all parts of England and Wales.
Supporting us helps us help them.
Membership for Campaigning Groups and Local Authorities
The Open Spaces Society has been working to protect open spaces in England and Wales since 1865. We deal with well over 600 cases a year assisting communities, groups and individuals in protecting their local spaces and paths in all parts of England and Wales.
Whether you are representing a local group, parish or town council or a national organisation, district & borough council, county council or unitary authority, the Open Spaces Society can help you.
By joining us, you and your organisation can enjoy unique benefits, as well as the expert support and advice of our local correspondent network and our experienced team based at our HQ in Henley-on-Thames.
Why we would like you to join the Open Spaces Society...
We are delighted that you have found us and expressed an interest in joining whether you need help or want to help us and support our work.
Whatever the reason, your membership will be invaluable to us.
Please take a moment to explore the website and learn about the society and its work.
As a small charity, we greatly appreciate the support of our members, and it is impossible for us to function without you!
You can also enjoy these great benefits:
- Professional training, including whole day courses tailored to your requirements, for local councils, national park authorities, access users, commons managers and anyone with an interest in our commons, greens and open spaces.
- Support and assistance in matters relating to the protection of common land, town and village greens, open spaces and public paths.
- Free legal-advisory service offers 30 minutes of solicitors’ time at the society’s discretion.
- Full access to any of the information sheets available on our publications list.
- Discounts on our publications – Our Common Land is the definitive work on the law of commons and village greens. Getting Greens Registered advises on the law and procedure of registering land as a ‘new’ green. These publications are updated regularly.
- Three copies a year of our lively and informative magazine Open Space.
Are you looking to join as an individual or as a couple?