Access to open spaces has never been more important. Join the Open Spaces Society today and help us protect green and open spaces in your area for generations to come.
Membership for local groups, organisations or authorities at any level
The Open Spaces Society has been championing open spaces and public paths in England and Wales since 1865. We deal with almost 1,000 cases a year assisting local authorities, groups, and individuals to defend their local spaces and paths in all parts of England and Wales.
Of our members, over 600 are councils, local groups, or national organisations. By joining us, they benefit from support and assistance in protecting common land, town and village greens, open spaces and public paths.
Below are some of the ways we can help you protect the open spaces and public paths in your community.
- We offer expert guidance on protecting, managing, or registering commons and town and village greens.
- We can help you to deal with illegal encroachments on commons and greens.
- We can advise you on how to apply to register land as a ‘new’ town or village green.
- We can help you to deal with path obstructions
- We can advise you on how to claim an unrecorded path.
- We're unique in being concerned about all categories of public rights of way and all types of legitimate user on them.
Whether you are representing a local or national organisation or a local authority at any level, the Open Spaces Society can help you.
By joining us, you can benefit from...
- Professional training, including whole day courses tailored to your requirements, for local councils, national park authorities, access users, commons managers and anyone with an interest in our commons, greens and open spaces.
- Expert guidance from our specialist case officers to help you protect access to common land, town and village greens, open spaces, and public paths in your area.
- Three copies a year of our lively and informative magazine, Open Space.
- Access to our legal fund should you need it.