Open Spaces Society OSS 150th Year
Join OSS Today!
Update on implementation of Wales (Planning) Act 2015    Ten years left to #FindOurWay    Our 12-point action plan for the new National Assembly for Wales    Judgment in Moorside Fields, Lancashire case    Our tool-kit to save open spaces    JustTextGiving to support our work    Remember a charity in your will


Commons Re-registration Project Officer

We want up to two self-starting individuals to pursue the society’s campaign to register new common land in England.

Over the past 150 years, the Open Spaces Society has preserved commons for the enjoyment of the public, and was a leader in registering commons under the Commons Registration Act 1965. Now we have the opportunity to register some which were not registered then.  The officer(s) will manage a project to revisit the registration of commons and greens in the 1960s, and secure extensive areas of still unimproved waste, and other valued commons and greens, which escaped registration.  This will protect the land for recreation, wildlife and other public benefit.

The project will involve:

  • desk-based research, field research and local consultation where appropriate to identify suitable sites to register waste of the manor and/or ‘statutory’ common land and greens;
  • applications;
  • submission of statements of case and attendance at hearings, public inquiries or committee meetings in support of applications.

Research and applications to register waste of the manor (project A) will require site visits for each application, and will be part-time for 10-15 hours per week.  Research and applications to register ‘statutory’ common land and greens (project B) are likely to be mainly desk-based (with some site visits), and could be offered as a separate project for 6 hours per week.  Together these workstreams would account for a maximum 21 hours per week.

Candidates must be familiar with the commons registration system, show skills in oral and written communication, and be able to use word processing software and Ordnance Survey maps.  The role will be home based.

Job description and further information

Application form – pdf format

Application Form – Word format

Closing date for applications is Monday 14 November with interviews on Monday 21 November.

Please email if you have any queries.



Local correspondents in England and Wales

The work of the Open Spaces Society depends heavily on its volunteers. In particular our team of Local Correspondents is the backbone of our efforts to preserve public paths, common land and greens. For this post it is essential that the person has the ability to understand and scrutinise path change consultations and orders and planning applications and to make appropriate recommendations. For a general job description, please click here. If you would like further information, please contact the office.

Local Correspondents in the London area

Due to the retirement of two of our local correspondents, we urgently need people to cover as much of the Greater London area as possible to help preserve our open spaces (the vacant area covers all of Greater London apart from Hillingdon, Lambeth and Wandsworth).

The work is concerned with commons, parks and other open spaces as well as public paths, defending them against undesirable development and enclosure, often by the local authority owners. The society is directly consulted on commons and rights of way matters, but other threats can only be discovered by looking for planning applications and articles in local papers. Also many of the inner London authorities have no definitive maps of public paths which makes the job more difficult.

For this post it is essential that the person has the willingness and ability to study planning proposals as they relate to commons, greens, open spaces and paths and to make appropriate recommendations. Although a background in land law would be extremely useful, this is not essential as the society will provide guidance.

For a job description, please click here. If you would like further information, please contact the office.